Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Pickled Beets

I do not believe that I have ever had pickled beats before.  Nor am I in a great hurry to try them, but I love to can...so when a friend at work had extra beats in her garden, I decided to pickled them for the fair. I went on an internet search for a recipe and asked friends for any tips that had on pickling beats.  I took what I found on the internet and developed a recipe of my own.  I will be entering it in the Carver County Fair which starts on Wednesday, so we will see what the judges think.

Brine:
2 1/2 Cups Cider Vinegar
2 1/2 Cups Water
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
Bring brine to a boil in a large pot

Beats in icy water
Cut off tops of beats, leaving 1 inch above actual beat.  Do not cut off root.  Wash beats.  Boil beats in large pot for about an hour.  Immediately put in icy, icy water.  The skins will literally fall of the beet.  Use a knife to cut off stem and root.


Slice beets.  Note:  The beet juice is very messy and will stain your clothes, so do not wear any clothing that you do not want stained red.







Put 1 TBLS Pickling Spice in each pint jar.  Pack beats with sliced beats.  Pour brine over beats.  Put lids and rings on jars. Process in hot water canner for 30 minutes.  Remove from hot water bath and let cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment