Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Not so Scandinavian Potato Sausage with Sauerkraut


Potato Sausage is a thing that we ate growing up in a Norwegian family.  It is a wonderful blend of pork and potatoes, but does not have a lot of flavor.  This is how I cook my potato sausage now.

Ingredients:
Potato Sausage (My folks made their own, but I buy mine at my local Cub Foods.  I do not know if you can buy outside the Dakotas and Minnesota)
1 Hot pepper of your choice - Chopped Coarsely
1 pepper (green, yellow, red, orange:  Your choice) - Chopped Coarsely
1/2 large sweet onion - Chopped Coarsely
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1 - 12oz beer (I prefer a microbrew or dark beer, but anyone will work)
1 - 14 ounce can sauerkraut (I am part German, but use the cheapest sauerkraut at the market)
Kosher Salt
Olive Oil

Directions:
Heat frying pan over medium low heat.  Add olive oil.  Brown sausage on both side over medium low heat.  Add chopped veggies and salt and cover.  Stir occasionally to remove excess water from veggies.  Cook for about 10 minutes.  Add beer. Cook covered for about about 30 minutes.  Add Sauerkraut, juice and all.  Cook until sauerkraut is hot.  Serve with any vegetables and bread of you choice.

1 comment:

  1. We made this tonite, and it was great. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete