Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mexican Lasagna in a Crock Pot

When we were canning tomatoes this past week end,  Ashley and I had a jar of salsa that did not seal.  I put it in my frig pondering what to do with it.  Knowing that I had a potluck coming up at work, I thought about what I could make with it for the pot luck.  I searched my cabinets, finding black beans, black olives, enchilada sauce, corn and lasagna noodle.  When I looked in my freezer, I found I had a pound of ground beef.  I decided to try my hand at a Mexican Lasagna that I could make in the crock pot.  It turned out great (though I was very worried about how it would taste) and it actually got second place amongst all of the dishes.

Mexican Lasagna

Ingredients:
Cooking Spray
Lasagna Noodles (uncooked)
1 Can of Corn
1 Can of Black Beans
1 Large Can of Black Olives (I sliced them)
1 Can Green Enchilada Sauce
1 Pound Ground Beef
1 1/2 Pounds Shredded Cheese (Cheddar, Colby Jack or Mexican)
3 Pints Salsa

Directions:
Brown ground beef.  Add 2 pints of salsa and the enchilada sauce to make a sauce.  Spray crock pot with cooking spray.  Put about 1/2 the salsa in crock pot.  Layer the following ingredients until out of ingredients or crock pot is full.  Lasagna Noodles, Salsa, Corn, Black Beans, Olives, Meat Sauce, Cheese.  I put a few olives on top of the cheese in the last layer.  My crock pot get really hot, so it only took about 3.5 hours to cook.  I unplugged it and slightly opened the top to let it rest for about a 1/2 hour before serving.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that unsealed jar went to good use! Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete