Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Colorado Green Chili Stew

A favorite of mine while living in Denver was Green Chili.  You can not find it anywhere in the state of Minnesota, so I have to make my own.  Here is what I do.

Colorado Green Chili

Ingredients:
1 1/2 to 2 lb Boneless Pork Roast
1 1/2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic (3cloves fresh garlic, minced)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 Tablespoons Flour
1 - 14 ounce can diced tomatoes (or 2 whole fresh tomatoes, diced)
1 - 14.5 ounce can chicken broth (I use low sodium)
Up to 1 cup of water
3 - 4 ounce cans green chiles (or up to 5 cans depending on taste) [In Denver everyone roasts their own.  I just buy canned, but roasted them yourselves is much better.  I am simply too lazy]
1/2 Big Sweet Onion, Diced
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
If you like hotter, add a couple of fresh hot peppers diced.

Directions.

Brown Pork and Garlic in Olive Oil
  • Cut exposed fat from roast.  Cut pork roast into large 1 to 2 inch cubes.  Remove any excess fat, but leave some for flavor.  Process in food processor to the consistency of course ground hamburger.
  • Heat olive oil in large sauce pan or small stock pot (at least 4 quarts).  Brown pork in olive oil with garlic.  Add the flour to this mixture and brown for a couple of minutes.  Stir quite often.  
  • Add remaining ingredients.  Simmer for at least 2 hours.  Do not taste for first hour or so, but do stir.  After an hour taste to see if you need to add more chiles, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
  • If you want a thicker stew, cut down water and/or add more flour.
  • I typically only use Own Brand Ingredients
  • If you want a thinner stew, cut down flour and/or add more water. 
Serve with cheddar cheese and flour tortillas.

Notes:

  • A typical Colorado Green Chili is thinner.  I prefer mine thick.  I do not add any water (I do not add the water the recipe calls for) unless I have to after an hour of simmering.  Enjoy.
  • You can use a bigger can of diced tomatoes (or more tomatoes), instead of adding water for a thicker chili.
  • Remember to leave a little fat on the pork.  It adds a lot of flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment